For Beginning Clinicians
Recommended Resources for New Professionals
AAPCSW members have recommended the following materials for those new to the field of psychoanalytic psychotherapy and clinical social work. This is not a complete listing — just a few of their favorites. The list will be expanded.
We would love to know what you find helpful. To offer suggestions, comments and or questions, please email Marcia Spira, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Basch, M. (1980). Doing Psychotherapy. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Blackman, J. S. (2004). 101 Defenses: How the Mind Shields Itself. United Kingdom: Brunner-Rutledge.
- Bruch, H. (1980). Learning Psychotherapy: Rationale and Ground Rules. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Edward, J., Ruskin, N., Turrini, P. (1992). Separation / Individuation: Theory and Application. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Fink, B. (2007). Fundamentals of Psychoanalytic Technique: Lacanian Approach for Practitioners. New York, NY: W. W. Norton.
- Gabbard, G. (2010). Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Gabbard, G. (2014) Psychodynamic Psychiatry in Clinical Practice (5th ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Leader, D. (2012). What is Madness? London, UK: Hamish Hamilton.
- Mcwilliams, N. (1999). Psychoanalytic Case Formulation. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Mcwilliams, N. (2004). Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Mcwilliams, N. (2011). Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Mitchell, S. & Black, M. (1995). Freud and Beyond: A History of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought. New York: NY: Basic Books.
- Shedler, J. (2006). That Was Then, This Is Now: An Introduction To Psychodynamic Psychotherapy. PDF retrieved from http://jonathanshedler.com/writings/
- Summers, R., Barber, J. (2014). Practicing Psychodynamic Therapy: A Casebook. New York, NY: Gilford Press.
- Verhaeghe, P. (2008). On Being Normal and Other Disorders: A Manual for Clinical Psychodiagnostics. New York, NY: Other Press LLC.
- Wachel, P. (2013). Therapeutic Communication: Knowing What To Say When (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Gilford Press.
- Willer, J. K. (2014). The Beginning Psychotherapist's Companion. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing (2nd ed.).